Wednesday, December 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo Accomplished!; Write (Almost) Every Day Challenge, Day #56

Oh, Hello, Blogger.  And Hello, December.  


Whew.  NaNoWriMo is over, and I am a winner!!!  I wrote over 9,000 words one day and crossed that 50,000-word finish line with a few days to spare!


And boy am I glad that I finished when I did.  Because only a couple days later I caught a bug that my son had caught over Thanksgiving and I was down for the count.  I was in a lot of pain, and, well, you don't want to hear about that.  Let's just say it wasn't pretty.  And to top it off, my husband caught it, too!  The whole house, laying around on couches, moaning and sipping water all day....  We were all pretty pathetic.


And it's still not completely gone.  I have the most horrible headache of all headaches ever to be known as horrible (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it is one horrible headache that's lasted for two days now), but everything else is pretty much gone.


Although my dizziness is still around.  For those of you who didn't know, for over a month now I have been suffering from spells of dizziness, or rather, spells where I feel almost drunk.  I have been to the doctor about it, been to the chiropractor (which seemed to help), but it's still not going away.  For a while it was constant - I'd feel the symptoms almost all day long.  That lasted about two weeks.  Now it comes and goes - mostly it just shows up once a day, and not for very long.  But since I've been sick I've felt pretty bad, although I guess being sick might make me feel dizzy itself.


But somehow I was still able to participate in (and win!) NaNoWriMo.  I guess it's because I was relatively still, sitting with my laptop and typing away.  But I am really, really excited about my story this year.  There are so many scenes I have yet to write, and so much editing to do, but I actually want to edit it.  We'll see how that goes.


Well, I can't write much more today because of that damn headache.  But hopefully I'll be back soon.  Oh, and notice how I've changed the name of my challenge to "Write (Almost) Every Day Challenge."  I just gave in - I'll still continue to try to write every day, but I now accept the times that I cannot write as vacations, not failures.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. YAY! You finished!!!

    I wonder if you have the mysterious illness I had three years ago. It took me two rounds of steroids and two months of PT to drive, walk straight, and shop. People tossed around Menier's and something else I can't recall the name of now. But it involved particles in the middle ear moving around...and they're not supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! I'm so proud of you for finishing, and finishing EARLY, no less, because I know how incredibly difficult it is. Nice work! Someday I expect to be able to say that I knew you when...

    Now this is going to sound like some weird folk remedy, but a few years ago I was having some dizzy spells, headaches, fuzzy head, general crappy getting- ready-to-come-down-with-something feeling, but it would never develop into anything. I just continued to feel like poo. My karate instructor had me do something called a "salt shooter" - 1/4 teaspoon of Morton's Lite salt, dissolved in a shot of warm water twice a day for a couple of days.

    It was the nastiest thing EVER, but it worked. I guess between drinking a lot of water and working out, I'd flushed out too many electrolytes and the lite salt (which is a low sodium high potassium salt derivitive) help re-establish some of those. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it totally worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies, for the words of encouragement and insight. Yeah, I've looked up things like Menier's and all kinds of other possible causes... I even went to the eye doctor (which is worse for me than the dentist is for most people - I have an eye phobia which is really serious and crazy) and got new glasses because I thought maybe my sight had changed too much. But no such luck. I think once I'm over this bug I might go back to my general doctor... We'll see.

    ReplyDelete