Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Plea to the Hunger Games movie Casting Director

So quite a while back I said that I was working on a cast list for the movie version of The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.  That list kind of fell by the wayside, but I hope to finish it someday.


However, I am a bit of an IMDb addict, and the other day I noticed something on the page for The Hunger Games movie.  I don't know if this is a recent addition to the page or if it's simply something I didn't pay attention to before, but the Casting Director has been announced.  Her name is Debra Zane and she has been the Casting Director for several films, some of which are great movies.  To mention a few:  Away We Go; Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen; Dreamgirls; Jarhead; The Terminal (I LOVE this movie); Catch Me If You Can; Traffic; American Beauty; and Pleasantville (which is directed by Gary Ross, who is slated to direct The Hunger Games).  And those are only a handful.  If you go to her IMDb page, you'll see a plethora of other memorable movies that she's worked on.


But the thing I'm worried about is that her most recent films to cast were The Twilight Saga:  Breaking Dawn, Parts 1 and 2.  So this means that she didn't cast the main roles for The Twilight Saga movies, but that she has casted for some new roles (Renesmee, the Denali clan, etc.).  


So this is a plea to the Casting Director and other people casting for The Hunger Games movie.  Please, please, please, do not cast Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, or Taylor Lautner in The Hunger Games.  I know that many fans of The Twilight Saga would love for, say, Taylor Lautner to play the role of Gale, or for Kristen Stewart to play Katniss.  But please do not do this.  They are not right for the roles.  Please find new actors and actresses to play the major roles in the film.


I know that casting is a long, arduous process full of thousands of auditions.  I know that I have no idea what it is like to cast a movie.  But I do know that the true fans of The Hunger Games want this movie to be as close to the book as possible.  We know that changes have to be made when adapting a book into movie form, but please, just really try to keep the integrity of the book in mind when casting.  The fans and moviegoers will greatly appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. NOOOOOO!! Do you really think they would consider Twilight actors?! Dear babyjebusinaninjasuit, that would be a travesty. My vote is for them to cast unknown - or virtually unknown - actors.

    I can't wait to see your final list to find out who made the cut. You'd make a fabulous casting director. Ms. Zane should give you a call and pick your brain a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would almost think that Kristin Stewart and Robert Pattinson wouldn't take the Hunger Games even if it were offered to them because they kind of walk around with this attitude as if they regret taking on Twilight to begin with. But I agree I think they need to use virtually unknown actors.

    ReplyDelete