Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book 5/15, "Off the Shelf" Challenge

Book cover courtesy of illiterarty.com
For my 5th selection for the "Off the Shelf" Challenge, I read The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  This was another book that I should have read in high school, but I don't think I ever finished.  Looking back, I'm really not sure how I passed some of the tests I took in school.  I must have skimmed over it and found out the major details, or maybe used Cliffs Notes.


So, reading this book now, it took me a while to get into it.  But I think that was partly because of the writing style, and partly because the book just didn't get interesting until about two-thirds of the way in.  Therefore I ended up liking the book more than I thought I was going to, but I think I really only enjoyed the last third of the book.


I'm interested in seeing the film now, especially since a new adaptation is set to come out in 2012, and is starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire, and possibly Ben Affleck.  Overall, though, I think I still have to give this book a medium rating, like a 3 out of 5, because, even though it's considered a major classic, it doesn't rank up there with my favorites.

1 comment:

  1. I know I read it in high school but I really don't remember this book. I don't remember there being that many lead male roles in it either. But hey, Tobey and Leo together again, I bet that would be awesome! I'm willing to reread this one because it is so short. But I do remember when I did read it that I felt like I couldn't follow the story and was scratching my head most of the time. But I'm older and wiser now, so I should be okay right?

    ReplyDelete