Friday, April 22, 2011

Book 6/15, "Off the Shelf" Challenge

Book cover courtesy of reader2.com
The next book I chose to read for the "Off the Shelf" Challenge was The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks.


Let me just start by saying that for me, liking a book like this is a bit weird.  Yes, I am a bit of a hippie and I believe in things like love and equality and such.  Yes, I am madly in love with my husband, and I believe him to be my soul mate.  But, other than that, books like this - cheesy romance novels, I guess you could say - I normally don't want to read.  Don't get me wrong - I love a good love story, and I think that most stories have to have some type of love included, whether it be romantic love, friendship love, love between parents and children, whatever.  But most of the time I cringe when I see something too sappy.


Oh, who am I kidding?  I loved this movie, and I really liked the book.  It wasn't the best writing in the world, and while the author tries to give you a bit of mystery, you know what's going to happen in the end, who she's going to end up with.  I've only read one other Nicholas Sparks book - The Last Song - which was a book club pick, and I really didn't like that book at all.  But I don't know what it is exactly with this story (The Notebook) that makes my heart feel like it's going to burst and makes me worry that I'll start crying and never stop.  I think, though, when I first watched the movie, it was simply the love story that did it to me, and the pain of watching your love slip away with Alzheimer's.  But this time around, as I read it, I think I also had strong emotions towards the details about them watching their children grow, which makes sense because now I am a mother myself.


Anyway, you might call me a hopeless romantic or whatever, but I'll always love this movie and I really liked the book as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really kind of shocked that you liked this one. Mainly because Tracy couldn't even finish it!
    I'm not a fan of Sparks but that is because I think he writes within a formula. A lot of really great authors write within a formula when it comes to their structure. For example, the majority of Maeve Binchy novels are about one main anchor and then the twenty different stories that branch off. However to me that is like knowing the set up but not knowing the actual plot.
    I feel like with Sparks, I always know both before even picking up the book.
    I can't wait until you read Anna and the French Kiss though! My sister finished it and returned it to me so whenever you are ready just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! You like Nicholas Spaa-arks! You like Nicholas Spaa-arks! Andrea and Nicholas sitting in a tree...

    I really don't have room to taunt. I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie and bawled so hard it felt like my eyes had dehydrated into rock hard mcnuggets in their sockets.

    I'm still lovin' Reviews in 5! You and Courtney and Jeremy are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete