Monday, May 16, 2011

Book 7/15, "Off the Shelf" Challenge

The seventh book I read for the "Off the Shelf" Challenge was The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.  


I don't really have much to say about this book, other than I enjoyed it, and I wanted to watch the movie version with Guy Pearce as soon as I finished it, but it isn't available to view instantly on Netflix, so I'll have to wait a while.


I really enjoy Science Fiction novels and movies (or are they called SF now?), and although I don't know the history of novels focusing on time travel, I would have to say that this must be one of the most influential, if not one of the first of its kind.  It's a simple story, and I was kind of left wanting more - wanting the narrator to join the Time Traveller on a trip to some other point in time, just so that I could read about it.  I think that's why I enjoy Doctor Who - The Doctor and his companions are always going to a different time, to a different place, with each one being more wondrous than the one before.


Overall, I enjoyed the book and, in reading it, realized just how much I want to read more about time travel.

3 comments:

  1. Ten stars for this review just because you managed to slip in a Dr. Who reference.

    TARDIS, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly! Yeah, I kind of have the urge to watch some Doctor Who right now... Unfortunately Jonathan is OBSESSED with Toy Story 3 right now and has taken over the television... Maybe I'll be able to get my fix after he goes to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Andrea! Sorry, I'm late at reading it. I haven't been on my blog much lately which means I've been failing at checking everyone else's blogs.
    I kind of want to read this one too now. I haven't seen the Guy Pierce movie but I remember my mom showing me the old version.

    ReplyDelete