Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Book 1/15, "Off the Shelf" Challenge

The first book I read for my "Off the Shelf" Challenge was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.


I remember, in high school, one of my friends held up a book and said, "You need to read this."  I wasn't a huge reader in high school.  I read tons and tons and tons in elementary school, but when I moved at the age of 11, all I cared about was being cool, being popular.  And apparently, reading was not cool.  (Of course, now I think it's one of the coolest things in life!)  So a lot of books that my friends read in high school, I read in my late twenties, or I haven't read them yet at all.  I'm trying to make up for this, and this reading challenge will help a lot.


So in high school, my friend held that book up and told me I needed to read it.  I automatically wasn't really interested, because although at that point I was quite beyond being popular, I still wasn't back in the reading saddle.  But I glanced at the book, and most likely nodded and made some type of committment to read it.  But the only word I really caught from the title was "Hitchhiker's."  My 17-year-old brain thought, "Ugh, is this a story about bearded old men and their travels along the U.S. highways?"  I was not interested.


Fast forward about ten years, and somehow I saw the film adaptation.  I don't remember when I saw it, or with whom, but I saw it, and I loved it!  This was what my friend had told me about all those years ago.  She hadn't been crazy!  She had actually known me really well!  Ever since then I knew I had to read the books.  I bought them last year, but they've been sitting on my shelf while I read books for book club and other books.  But they've been sitting there, kind of taunting me, saying, "Don't Panic.  We'll be here when you're ready."  And then I decided to take the "Off the Shelf" challenge and they were the first on my list of must-reads!


All I have to say is, Kelli, I wish I had listened to you back then.  Oh the things I have missed! I have only read the first story, but I plan on reading the others for this challenge as well.  As far as the story goes, I laughed out loud through so much of this book, and I think anyone who says that this is not an amazing idea is crazy.  I mean, people who manufacture planets?  Come on!  What writer out there wouldn't kill for an idea like that?


So, 1 book down for my "Off the Shelf" Challenge, 14 to go!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the movie yet for this book, nor have I read them. They seem interesting but I just don't get what they are supposed to be about. Maybe someday I'll read them. You did read One Day for me so I guess it is only fair that I read a book solely based off your recommendation. But you only get one shot so you let me know what it's going to be and we'll see.

    ReplyDelete