Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book 3/15, "Off the Shelf" Challenge

I went through a phase, as I've said before, where I didn't do a lot of reading.  This meant that many of the books that most people read in high school went untouched or unfinished on my shelf.  One such book was the third book I chose to read for the "Off the Shelf" Challenge:  To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.  


When I started this reading challenge, I knew there were several books that I simply could not ignore on my shelf any longer.  This was one of them.  I was supposed to read it in high school or junior high, but I never finished it.  So when I sat down to read it recently I had a few ideas about it in my head.  I knew the main plot of the story.  I remembered a few of the characters' names.  And I knew that it was one of those books that you're "supposed" to love.  And if not love, at least like a lot.  It's a classic.


But I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it.  And for the first 15 or so pages, I was sure that I had stopped reading it as a teenager for a reason.  But I stuck with it, and lo and behold, I ended up really liking it.  I am a strong supporter for equal rights for all humans, no matter their race, religion, sexual orientation, or nationality.  So this book was right up my alley.


But regardless of the moral of the story, there were other things that simply appealed to me.  I loved the court-room scenes.  One of my favorite movies is 12 Angry Men, with Henry Fonda.  If you love mysteries, whodunits, court-room dramas, etc., check out this movie.  It, too, is a classic.  So when Atticus Finch was in the court, questioning witnesses, it made me excited to figure out what actually happened between Tom Robinson and Mayella Ewell.


Then the ending happened.  Or snuck up on me with a vengeance, is more like it.  Now, I know most people out there have read this book but for those who haven't, I won't talk about it.  I don't want to spoil it.  But let me just say, I didn't see that coming.  And then, in the final pages of the novel, I have to say that there was closure.  And with all the series that I've been reading lately, it's refreshing to read a stand-alone book with nice closure.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, I love reading stand alone novels! And I am definitely moving this book into my tbr pile for this year because it is need of a reread! And I promise to check out the 12 Angry Men, I love old classics...funnily enough I've never seen the movie for To Kill A Mockingbird.
    I once new a guy and this was his favorite book and so he always refused to see the movie in fear that it would take something away or wouldn't measure up to his love of the book. And since then whenever I see the movie on the shelf I think "Oh I should get that" then I remember that guy and just think "or maybe not..."
    Maybe someday...if I was ever forced to make a list of the top 5 classic movies I've never seen and then have to watch them...I'd watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do consider this one of my favorite books of all time. And the movie is not disappointing. *SIGH* Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch... I so have a dead guy crush on him.

    ReplyDelete