Monday, February 28, 2011

Where's Hermione When You Need Her?

I feel a bit overwhelmed.  I think I might need a schedule, one akin to the studying schedules that Hermione makes for Harry and Ron in the Harry Potter books.


Here's what I've got going.  I've challenged myself to read 35 books this year (I read 30 last year), but this goal is totally doable.  It's how I do it that's the problem.  I've also challenged myself to the "Off The Shelf" Challenge, where I will read 15 books that have been on my bookshelf for a while but I haven't read yet.  I've already read 3 books for this challenge.  But here's where the problems start.  I have book club books to read as well (only one a month, so not too big of a problem), and I have other books that I bought a few weeks ago that I also want to read.  Then I relieved one of my friends of about 9 books that she was getting rid of - also books that I want to read, but since they just joined my overflowing book shelf, they won't count towards the "Off The Shelf" challenge.  Then, yesterday, I went to a closing sale at the Borders near me that is closing and came back with 6 more books, and most of these are of the "oh-man-I-must-read-them-now" caliber.  Yes, all of these books can count towards my year goal of 35 books.  But the question is, how do I read them and still read the books for my "Off The Shelf" challenge?  I mean, those books have been sitting there for a while, and yes, I want to read them, but these new books are so nice and shiny and are calling to me...


And that's just the problem with the books.  I also was hoping to participate in NaNoEdMo in March, where I challenge myself to complete 50 hours of edits on my recent NaNoWriMo novel.  I really want to edit that novel, and I feel like the deadline given in NaNoEdMo will help to make that a reality.  I will edit it, but I'm afraid if I don't participate in NaNoEdMo I'll just keep putting it off.  Then there's Script Frenzy in April, and I'm not sure I'm up for another 100-page script in 30 days, but I really enjoyed it last year.  Then one of my friends has deigned me worthy of being a beta reader for one of her novels.  This is one thing that I will definitely do, no matter what my schedule's like.  I'm so excited to do it, and nothing can stop me!


And then there's this other thing that I'm going to be completely vague about and make it frustrating for all of my readers.  ;)  I'll just say that it's a new project, a new blog project that I'm really excited about and it's just now at the starting gates.  The first post won't go up for a while, but it is somewhat time-consuming because a lot of work goes into each post.


And I have all of this to do while also taking care of my 1 1/2-year-old son.  He's a lot of work. But I do get to read and do other things while he naps and after his bed time.


So here's what I think.  My husband suggested that I make sure I read one "Off The Shelf" book every month, and that I can't read any other books (besides book club books) until I've read that specific book.  Right now I'm reading the March book club pick, and I should be done within a couple of days.  So I think after that I'll start my ritual of reading the "Off The Shelf" book first, and the others after.  Then, of course, when I receive my friend's novel, I'll be reading that ASAP.  And I'll be working at least a few hours a week on my new blog project.  But I feel like I may have to forgo NaNoEdMo and Script Frenzy this year.  But if I don't do NaNoEdMo, I feel like I still need to pencil in some editing time.


So, readers, what do you think?  Any tips?

4 comments:

  1. Just remember that all those books on your "off the shelf" list, they used to be the ones screaming and begging to be read immediately. But eventually...in time...they were silenced. And the same will happen to all your new books. It is sad but true. Don't fight it. I know it is frustrating but deep deep deep down you know that they are not up too high on your priorities list. I'm not saying ignore them completely, God forbid, but just give yourself a break.

    Personally, what I do, since I don't have a husband or child to look after, I read for the same amount of time that I'm going to watch something. So like right I'm watching the 4th season of HIMYM, so I read for 20 minutes and then I can watch one 20 minute episode.

    Plus, if you can push yourself to finish a book a week, then that is your book club book, an off the shelf book, and still leaves time for 2 of your new books. But if you still need more time you can develop an addiction to caffeine pills like Jessie on Save By The Bell and stay up all night! If I remember correctly it worked great for her:)

    P.S. thank you for your comment:) it made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear god, your schedule is making ME exhausted!

    I'm going to suggest adding ANOTHER book to your load: Time Management for Creative People by Lee T. Sibler. I haven't read it yet (it's in my TBR pile) because I haven't had time.

    I also recommend that if you haven't watched "The Guild" that you and husband get it immediately on Netflix. Holy crap, it's the funniest sh*t I've seen in a long time.

    I'm not really helping much am I? Sorry.

    Bittner: Wasn't Jessie the one that wound up a stripper? See where blatant caffeine abuse leads? Just say "NO".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly: Now you see why I was a bit peeved about the ending of your book club pick - now I've got to add the 3 sequels to my TBR list!
    And with all this stuff to do, you'd think I'd be doing it right? Nah, right now I'm messing around online and debating whether I should write reviews for all 124 books in my "Read" list on Goodreads. Alright, I guess I'll get back to reading... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Holly is a funny one. Now you understand why I didn't want to step near Borders. I have 11 books in my read this month pile. Yes, eleven. I can do it...but it is pressure. I like your husband's suggestion. Read an off the shelf. Read the book club. And then read something else. If you can, do Courtney's schedule. I know I had the plan last year to read at least 1 adult book, 1 YA book, 1 classic book, and 1 nonfiction/educational type book. That plan lasted...two months.

    Oh! The other day I was at the library and I saw a number of adults in the Teen section. You must take the bold step over the threshold. You can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete