Monday, February 7, 2011

Book 2/15, "Off the Shelf" Challenge

For the second book in my "Off the Shelf" Challenge, I read the second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series:  The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, by Douglas Adams.


At first I was thinking that I wouldn't like this story as much as the first in the series, but as the book went on I began to enjoy it more and more.  The first book was just so clever, and this one also proved to highlight the incredible creative mind of Douglas Adams.


I'd rather not include any spoilers, so my review will be brief.  I'll make a list, shall I?

  • I loved the bit about the existential elevators who "became terribly frustrated with the mindless business of going up and down, up and down, experimented briefly with the notion of going sideways, as a sort of existential protest, demanded participation in the decision-making process and finally took to squatting in basements sulking."  
  • The part about the ship which was delayed from departing for nine hundred years seemed Twilight Zone-esque (which is a good thing in my opinion).
  • The part about the man who ruled the Universe kind of made my head hurt, simply because of the way it was written, and the way he spoke to himself.
  • The place where Arthur and Ford end up is quite a nice twist and an interesting take on history.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book, at least as much as the first.  It was laugh-out-loud funny and continued to highlight the wonderful creativity of Douglas Adams.  I'm excited to read the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment