Friday, September 10, 2010

Harry Potter and Jesus Camp: Write Every Day Challenge Day #4

So I saw the new Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 trailer during the Vampire Diaries last night.  It was awesome!  I'm so excited!  Only 2 more months!  Head over to Mugglenet or YouTube to see the trailer.



Speaking of Harry Potter, I also saw something quite disturbing and annoying today:  the documentary Jesus Camp.  It focuses on an Evangelical Christian children's camp that believes that training children to be fighters in God's Army is the way to take back America for the Conservative agenda.  (I use that term, agenda, because I always hear conservatives use it in a derogatory way towards Democrats, Liberals, Homosexuals, etc., and because this documentary is the best example of an agenda that I've ever seen!)

The director of the camp warned them about Harry Potter, saying that Warlocks go against God, and that no matter how much of a hero he is, he is wrong because he is a warlock.  Well, first of all, I'd like to say that Harry is a wizard.  I don't recall him ever being called a warlock.  I know these are synonyms, but I just had to say that.  ;)  Second of all, Harry Potter is one of the most moral, kind, loving, and peaceful characters out there.  Third of all, he is a character in a book.  But then, I have to remember that these people take a certain book (the Bible) literally, so I guess it makes sense that they would take other books literally.

This group openly states that they need to "use" children to further their agenda.  And their agenda doesn't end at spreading God's word.  The kids might think it does, but it doesn't.  They infuse their own political beliefs into their sermons, teaching kids about abortion before they've even hit puberty, then use the kids in a political demonstration in Washington.  I feel sorry for these kids.  Not because they are being taught the Word of God, but how
they are being taught (or "trained" as the adults - and kids alike! - put it).

All I know is, like I've said in my previous post, that hate is not a part of what I teach to my children, and although it might not seem like these children are being taught to hate, that is surely the next step.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that documentary but it was a few years ago and I don't remember it too well. I agree with you that they are teaching the kids to hate and fear the unknown. From the people with different beliefs and lifestyles, to where when they meet someone different from them they will instinctively hate them and try to change them. It is sad.
    Besides, Harry Potter can't be all that evil. I mean Hogwarts had the Fat Friar and all.

    ReplyDelete