Thursday, September 30, 2010

Write Every Day Challenge, Day #18

I've got a couple of things to talk about today.


First of all, I'm so sad to hear about all of these recent teen suicides that are linked with their sexuality.  I know that we may never know exactly what drove some of these teens to take their own lives, but the bullying they endured because of their sexuality had to be a major cause of their depression.  It's so horrible that things like this happen.  I know that "kids will be kids" and that pranks and bullying are a part of adolescence and childhood, but I know that I will be teaching my son that bullying is wrong, and that kindness is the key to becoming a good person.


On a much lighter (and crazier) note, if you haven't heard this story yet, go to this link:  http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/30/100-percent-chance-for-life-on-newly-found-planet/.  (Actually, I guess this isn't a "light" subject, but it's definitely not as depressing.)  First of all, it amazes me how awesome our technology is these days.  Second of all, is this not what all SF writers dream about???  There has always been ideas of earth-like planets, other planets teeming with life, and now the idea seems actually possible!  Of course, it's 20 light years away and has crazy temperatures so the idea of the life on this planet being like us is slim, and the chance of humans visiting this planet in my lifetime is even slimmer, but this is just amazing!  I have always thought that, given the fact that new species are discovered on earth all the time, we shouldn't limit ourselves to believe that we are the only planet with life out there.  But it was always a theory, an idea, a dream.  And now scientists have discovered that there's this planet out there with a high possibility of life forms on it!  I know, I know, there's no proof yet that there is life on this planet.  But to me, it just seems like life, in general, got a little more limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment